Planning on going on your first boat cruise this summer? Like any adventure attempted for the first time, I bet your head is filled with many questions. You’re not alone in this.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most asked questions new tourists should ask about boat cruises. Sift through the pile and see which directly answers your burning questions.
About Boat Cruises
Boat cruises are recreational activities in which individuals or groups of tourists travel on a ship or yacht for leisure purposes. It typically involves cruising along a body of water, such as a river, lake, or ocean and can vary in duration from a few hours to several days (day or evening cruises) or even weeks, depending on the type of cruise you’re embarking on.
Boat cruises are popular for sightseeing, relaxation, and entertainment. They offer passengers the opportunity to enjoy scenic views, explore different destinations, and partake in various onboard activities and amenities.
Things to Ask About Boat Cruises
Before embarking on a boat cruise, here are the most important things to ask your tour company or tour guide about your impending boat cruise so you’re armed with the right knowledge and know exactly what to expect:
Q1. What type of boat cruise will it be?
There are different types of boat cruises you can possibly be voyaging on, and these different types cater to different preferences and interests. Typically, the most popular types of cruises are River, Ocean, Expedition, Party, Day, & Luxury cruises.
- River Cruises: River cruises take place on inland waterways, such as rivers and canals. They often provide a more intimate and immersive experience, allowing passengers to explore scenic landscapes, visit historical sites, and experience local cultures and traditions along the river route.
- Ocean Cruises: Ocean cruises involve traveling across seas and oceans. They are typically offered by larger cruise ships and provide a wide range of amenities and activities on board. Ocean cruises often visit multiple ports of call, allowing passengers to explore different destinations and enjoy various shore excursions.
- Expedition Cruises: Expedition cruises are for the most adventurous of travelers. These focus on exploring remote and less-accessible regions, such as the Arctic, Antarctic, or other wilderness areas. These cruises often involve smaller ships that are designed for navigating in challenging environments and offer opportunities for wildlife spotting, expedition kayaking, hiking, and other adventurous activities.
- Luxury Cruises: If you belong to the “6 zero club”, then this is where you typically want to be. Luxury cruises provide a high-end experience with exceptional service, luxurious accommodations, gourmet dining, and premium amenities. These cruises often feature upscale facilities, personalized attention, and exclusive destinations, appealing to those seeking a more luxurious and pampering vacation.
- Party Cruises: Party cruises are known for their vibrant and festive atmosphere. They often feature live music, DJ performances, themed parties, and entertainment aimed at creating a lively and energetic onboard experience. Party cruises are popular among young adults and those looking for a fun-filled vacation.
- Day Cruises: Day cruises are shorter in duration, typically lasting a few hours. They are popular in coastal areas and tourist destinations, offering passengers the chance to enjoy scenic views, visit nearby islands or coastal attractions, and experience the pleasure of being on the water without the commitment of an extended trip.
Q2. What’s the best thing about cruising on a boat?
The best thing about cruising on a boat is the opportunity to explore multiple destinations with ease. A cruise allows you to visit different cities, islands, or ports of call without the hassle of packing and unpacking or dealing with multiple transportation arrangements. You can wake up in a new destination each day, offering a diverse and enriching travel experience. This convenience and the ability to discover various places without the need for extensive planning and logistics is a standout feature of cruising on a boat.
Q3. When is the best time to book my cruise?
Just like booking flights with airlines like Air Peace, it’s important to always book months in advance to get the best possible deals on tickets and accommodation on the boat cruise. The closer to the departure date you book, the harder it’s going to be to hold down a nice room on the ship and get fair prices.
Q4. Should I book with a travel agent or directly with the cruise line
Whether to book with a travel agent or directly with the cruise line depends on your personal preferences and specific circumstances. But to help solve your dilemma, it’s always a good idea to understand the pros and cons of opting for either.
When booking a boat cruise with a travel agency, you get expertise & guidance, it’s more time-saving and you get access to uniquely exclusive deals.
Booking directly with the cruise line gets you direct communication with the company, better flexibility, customization and access to their loyalty programs.
Your eventual choice would largely depend on which of the above pros and cons matter most to you.
Q5. What is included in the cost of my cruise?
The answer to what is included in your cruise largely depends on the particular package you select from the particular cruise line or travel agency. You can select a package that has inclusion of a complimentary bottle of wine and you can select one that includes flight tickets and visas and so on. Make sure to carefully select and take note of what’s included in the specific cruise package you choose.
Q6. What are the most important things to know while going on a cruise?
Here are five of the most important things to keep in mind when embarking on a boat cruise:
- Ensure you have all the necessary documentation and identification like passports & tickets required for boarding the cruise ship.
- Be prepared to present any required medical documentation or vaccination records stipulated by the cruise line.
- Follow the cruise line’s instructions regarding the designated arrival time and boarding procedures to avoid any unnecessary delays or complications.
- Familiarize yourself with the cruise line’s luggage restrictions and guidelines and ensure that you comply with any weight, size, or quantity limits.
- Familiarize yourself with the boat’s safety and security regulations and follow all safety instructions.